How do I set up Registrant Types?
Use registrant types if you want to present a different registration page to different registrant categories, such as Attendees, Exhibitors, Members, Non-members, etc.
What can I do with Registrant Types?
You can present a different set of registration page elements to each registrant type. These are the attributes that can be different for each registrant type:
- About You fields (Registrant Information capture fields)
- Session choices
- Sales items (tickets)
- Methods of Payment
- Custom Content
- Extra registration pages
Registrant Types are also sensitive to Group Registration mode: Group Leaders/Members and Individual Registrants can also see different screens based on registrant type.
Does your Admin Dashboard have Menus or Buttons?
The Groups and Tables Wizard opens ...
Make sure Group Registration Mode is on.
Open the Set Up Registrant Types screen ...
The Set Up Registrant Types window opens ...
Add Registrant Types
Scroll down to the Define Registrant Types section and click the Add Registrant Type button.
Define the Registrant Type
The Add Registrant Type screen opens ...
- Give the registrant type a name - the name represents the category of registrant, such as Attendee, Exhibitor, Vendor, Sponsor, Member, Non-Member, Faculty, Student, Teacher, Principal, etc.
- Your Reports can use a different name in place of the Registrant Type name
- Your Name Badges can use a different name in place of the Registrant Type name
- If you have Group Registration turned on, you can make your registrant types available to Individuals - by default, registrant types are available to individuals only
- If you have Group Registration turned on, you can make your registrant types available to groups
- If a Group Leader chooses this registrant type, you can change the size of his/her group only
- If you click the Hide checkbox, this registrant type will not be visible to the public in the dropdown menu on the landing page - this registrant type will only be accessible using the registrant type URL in invitations
- If you want this registrant type to ONLY be selectable by your Event Admins, click the Admin Use Only checkbox - registrants will never see this registrant type; only logged in admin users will have access
- Requiring a password to register as this registrant type provides a layer of security to your event - if this registrant type is selected, the registrant will be prompted for a password
- By default, the initial registrant status is marked Attending - this default can be changed to Pending, Approved, Confirmed or No-Show - for example, set the initial status to Pending if you need to review documentation submitted by the registrant prior to allowing them to attend
- If you want to customize the Email Confirmation message and/or the Confirmation Page message, click the appropriate button, arranged here by status
VISIBILITY of Registrant Type attributes
By default, all About You fields, Questions, Sessions, Sales Items, extra pages, custom content and Methods of Payment are INVISIBLE on the registration page when Registrant Types are defined. Why? Since the purpose of using registrant types is to enable the display of different questions, session and ticket choices, all of these elements are hidden by default and must be made VISIBLE intentionally. This prevents you from making a mistake by forgetting to turn off a certain ticket. You can be more accurate by turning ON elements than remembering to turn them OFF.
VISIBILITY can be turned on by either of two methods and it does not matter which is used. Often, both places are used depending upon which screen you happen to be working.
- Using the Permissions button which displays all of your elements on one screen (See next step) - recommended
- Using the registrant type selection checkboxes on each element when you define it (such as: questions, sessions, sales items, method of payments, extra pages, etc) - not visible in this step
See the next step for how to set the VISIBILITY permissions for a registrant type.
Method 1: Open the Permissions screen for each Registrant Type
If you have defined any Questions, Sessions or Sales Items, you can turn on their VISIBILITY now by clicking the Permissions button for each registrant type, in this case: Members.
Method 2: If you have not yet defined any Questions, Sessions or Sales Items, then skip this step for now. You can assign registrant types to each element as you create them or you can come back to this screen later and use the Permissions button. There is no "correct order" in which to assign VISIBILITY. It can be done by either or both methods, independently and intermixed.
Turn ON Visibility for each Element
- As you can see from the checkboxes, the default VISIBILITY is OFF for all elements. Click the checkboxes in front of the About You fields that you want VISIBLE to this registrant type; in this case, Members.
- Use the Scroll Bar to scroll down to see and set all of the Questions, Sessions, Sales Items and Methods of Payment elements.
- When finished, click the Save button.
Repeat Permissions for each Registrant Type
Open the Permissions window for the next registrant type and turn on the VISIBILITY of elements, in this case: Non-Members. Repeat for all registrant types.
How do I test each Registrant Type?
Open this document: How do I test my Registrant Types?